LEVEL 2 – AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy®
If your dog has completed our Level 1 Dog Raising Class, you are invited to join Minneapolis’ top rated AKC S.T.A.R. PUPPY PROGRAM.
This six week program is aimed at earning the AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy distinction. (For Puppies Under 1 Year) You’ll be able to learn and implement practical skills to pass our level 3 course which is the official AKC® Canine Good Citizen® Program!
For Puppies Under 1 Year Old
6, 1 hour classes weekly. New Classes Begin each month. Time/Day varies month to month.
Your instructor will administer the AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy test at the last class. Upon passing, you’ll get an application to send to AKC® for enrollment in the AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy Program. Your puppy will receive the AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy Medal (for display or memento purposes; not suitable as a collar tag). You and your puppy will be listed in the AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy records!
Week 1: Check-in, review the importance of energy in all communication with our dogs and how that is going to be the key to every item on the CGC test, basic energy relating activities, introduction to handling, social time.
Week 2: Leash handling, dog handling, handling aversions, social time.
Week 3: Leash walking, pass-bys, good dog introduction etiquette, social time.
Week 4: Review energy in all dog handling and leash handling, obedience, social time.
Week 5: Obedience, energy, social time.
Week 6: Review, test, social time, party.
The Puppy S.T.A.R. test will be scored on these 20 items:
1. Owner has shown proof of veterinary care
2. Puppy appears healthy and active for its breed
3. Owner has an exercise plan
4. Attends at least 6 classes
5. Owner brings own bags for clean up
6. Puppy has some form of ID (tags, etc)
7. Puppy shows no aggression toward people
8. Puppy shows no aggression toward other dogs
9. Puppy tolerates their collar/leash
10. Puppy tolerates being hugged/held by owner
11. Puppy allows owner to take away a toy or treat
12. Puppy allows petting by someone other than the owner
13. Puppy tolerates handling related to grooming
14. Walks well on a leash and can follow owner in straight line
15. Walks by other people
16. Sits on command
17. Down on command
18. Comes when called from 5 ft away from owner
19. Reaction to distractions
20. Stays on leash with a different person
To enroll in this advanced puppy training class, fill out the form below!